Wednesday, February 25, 2009

thE nUrsE-pAtiEnt dynAmic

I hope you all had a beautiful Valentine's Day. I'll just jump straight to the point here - I absolutely hate Valentine's Day. Yes, I'm happily engaged to my soulmate, and no, it's not his fault. I think it has a little something to do with sitting in the hospital on Valentine's Day sixteen years ago... I was a little 5 year old who had spent the previous couple days being poked and prodded and even held down screaming at the top of my lungs as a doctor drilled into my bone to remove some bone marrow for testing. Every year, I try to be excited about Valentine's Day, but those memories are still so loud. I didn't know it then, but it was the end of the only 5 normal years I'd ever have and the beginning of a lifetime of excruciatingly difficult experiences.

What does this have to do with Change of Shift? Well, this is the Nursing Blog Carnival. I'd like to ask all of you nurses - and other wonderful allied health guests - to join me in remembering that little girl scared to death sixteen years ago. Every patient is that little girl. Every patient is full of emotions and questions, even the healthy ones. Every smile you see has a fair chance of being a well-maintained facade that could very well crumble to pieces when you leave the room. Every patient has a voice, but so many are too scared or intimidated to use it. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day, but I can assure you that whatever field you're in, your words and your smile can make or break a patient's day and truly change their life.

That 5 year old's first hospital experience was with her nurse. The nurse was doing all of the admitting paperwork and the little girl asked if she could please have an apple juice. Of course said the seemingly friendly nurse. But the nurse had two things when she returned - the apple juice and an IV. The little girl was petrified of that nurse for the rest of her stay. The nurse had betrayed her trust, and the little girl was sure if she asked for anything again, she'd get something bad from the nurse, too.

It's the simple things, it really, really is. And let me tell you, it doesn't end in Peds. Those adults are just as scared too. If you slow down enough to sit and see how someone is really doing, you'll be amazed how much they'll open up. You'll be shocked at how human they really are, especially as we are so used to the fast-paced healthcare system that forces us to go in and out of patient rooms with an objective and unattached mindset.

They're real people, just like you. Just like me. As cliche as it this statement is, treat each patient how you would like to be treated. You'll be amazed how the nurse-patient dynamic will drastically change. You'll be able to better help the patient with their increased openness and honesty. Can you remember to come back in an hour to check on them if that's what you promised? If not, set your watch alarm for 60 minutes. You might be the only familiar face that patient will see all day. He may be sitting there watching the clock just waiting for your smile. :)

according to: http://www.crazymiracle.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment